What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a simple and safe manual technique for exfoliating the skin while removing fine vellus hair, also called peach fuzz. The procedure involves using a small, modified surgical blade to VERY gently scrape the surface of the epidermis with light, feathery strokes, leaving the skin smooth and vibrant.
Watch this video for a sneak peak of the treatment in action:
What are the benefits?
- Diminishes the appearance of dry, fine lines
- Removes “peach fuzz”
- Encourages faster cell turnover
- Smooths skin texture
- Results in a healthy more radiant appearance of the skin
- Allows peels to penetrate more deeply into the skin
- Prepares the skin for further rejuvenating procedures such as laser treatments
Why Do People Love Dermaplaning?
- It is non-invasive and has minimal side effects and no downtime.
- It is a quick treatment that busy patients can have done over a lunch break.
- It provides immediate results with virtually no pain.
How often SHOULD IT BE DONE?
Because this procedure removes up to 3 weeks of dead skin cells that have accumulated, the results last up to 4 weeks.
Can it be done on all skin types?
Dermaplaning is suitable for all ages and for almost all skin types! Our aestheticians do not recommended dermaplaning for acneic skin.
Is there Down time?
There is no down time with this procedure. If you use makeup, you can apply it immediately after a treatment and continue on with your day.
How does it affect Make up application?
Dermaplaning allows for greater penetration of skincare products and it eliminates that annoying peach fuzz that cakes up in makeup. Your foundation will glide on more smoothly than ever!
Will my facial hair grow back thicker / Darker?
Since dermaplaning does not alter the hair follicles in any way, the light vellus hair that you may have on your face will grow back the same size, shape and colour. If you have a few courser, darker hairs, they will come back the same way (you can permanently reduce those dark hairs with laser treatment).
can’t i Just use a razor?
A dermaplane facial has a similar function to the “shaving your face” at home with a razor, but it is much more effective because of the type of blade used. This one is much sharper than what you can typically purchase in stores, and by having a professional aesthetician take care of those problem areas you are much more likely to experience a better result.
dermaplaning treatments at Viva Medical Aesthetics & Cost?
Viva Medical Aesthetics recently introduced two dermaplaning treatments that are becoming patients’ favourites.
- Dermaplane Light – manual exfoliation PLUS a customized masque. Cost is $150
- Dermaplane Deluxe – manual exfoliation PLUS a gentle chemical exfoliation using natural AHAs and BHAs. Cost is $150