Dr. Pascoe’s Tips for Anti-Aging and Boosting Collagen
- Posted on: Sep 18 2021
We’ve all heard the hype in the media about pills, supplements, and diets that promise to help us stay healthy and age gracefully. One of the popular promises lately is that popping collagen pills will diminish facial lines and prevent sagging skin. It sounds appealing, but it sure makes you wonder about the science behind these claims and what actually works. I have listed below some scientifically proven collagen-building tips.
For Building Collagen in Your Face
1) Add Retin to your skincare regime
Retin helps neutralize free radicals in the middle layer of your skin and boosts the
production of elastin and collagen. You can use medical-grade retinol or a prescription
2) Protect your collagen with SPF (zinc-containing)
The deep penetrating UVA rays of the sun can damage collagen structure. Daily use of SPF minimizes UVA harm.
3) Use topical, medical-grade, Vitamin C serum
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a natural antioxidant that stimulates the production of collagen.
4) In-office treatments
IPL, Laser, Radiofrequency, Ultrasound, and Micro-needling technologies have been shown to boost collagen levels effectively.
5) Collagen creams are NOT effective
Collagen molecules are just too large to be absorbed through the skin.
6) Evidence for collagen supplements is limited at best
Additional Actions for Aging Well
- Eat less.
- Make a significant time gap between dinner and your morning meal (14 – 16 hours).
- Get serious about cutting sugar.
- Sleep more and sleep better.
- Be active every day – take the stairs, park the car a block or two from the office, get up and move around frequently if you have an office job.
- Reduce intake of alcohol and other toxins. The occasional drink with friends is helpful because of the social contact, but alcohol daily is NOT beneficial. Smoking is one of the quickest ways to advance the aging process.
- Drink four big glasses of water per day.
- Grow your tribe. In Blue Zones (those places around the world where people live longest and are healthy), there are three things you see across the board – lots of movement daily, a sense of purpose, and communal living.
- Enjoy aging. Change is inevitable, so switch it up a bit and find things you love to do. Go with the flow.
Easy Add Ons
- Microbursts of intense activity.
- Cold after hot (turn the tap to cold for 30 secs after your hot shower – remember the Finns and the cold swim after the hot sauna).
- Roll out the fascia. For those tight muscles and cranky backs and necks, a foam roller and lacrosse ball are invaluable.
- Magnesium – 200 to 400mg daily.
- Mushrooms – loads of beneficial health benefits.
- Sunshine in the morning to wake up your biological clock.
- Bedtime ritual – wind down for better sleep. Put the phone away 30 mins before you go to sleep.
- Eat foods in their natural state.
ABOVE ALL, ENJOY YOUR LIFE. It may not be perfect (life is hard), but the more grateful we are, the better we will feel and the fewer profoundly aging stress ho
Tagged with: anti-aging, collagen, retin, Vitamin C